Blog of an aikido beginner

Follow a beginners aikido trainings and share his impressions.

Mein Foto
Name:
Standort: Bern, Switzerland

Mittwoch, Juni 22, 2005

Shihonage - Tuesdays training

Yesterdays training was led by markus again.

Warmup with rollings and stretchings.
I still got problems with backward rolling just as is. This means if I have to roll backward in practicing a technique, i do it correctly without thinking. But when we're doing this at the beginning over the whole tatami length, I mess things up most of the time. I'll have to work on that.

The whole evening we've practiced shihonage techniques:

First gyaku hanmi katatedori shihonage. Both positive and negative.

Then ai hanmi katatedori shihonage. Only positive here since this is a bit more tricky. Quite funny: When romolo (4th dan, around 70yrs old) explained on me (as uke) how this technique would be if performed fast, he almost broke my wrist. Impressive how much power you get without using much force. It hurts even today but I think this has to be part of the learning process, no? :-)

Then yokomen shihonage, both positive and negative.

At the end again yokomen shihonage but this time with a tanto tori (wooden knife). With this, I got the technique much better since it made much more sense to get out of the line when the attacker comes in with a knife. Quite impressive with shihonage you can get uke into a position where he has the blade on his neck or easily remove the knife out of his hand. That was much fun!

If you wonder how shihonage move looks, take a look at this animated gif. This picture shows a bit more detailed how the wrist get pushed.

Except my wrist, very good training session and I was really relaxed again after it.
Let's see if it still hurts when i go to training today at lunch :)

Yours,

Lemy